2021 AM Best Annual Report Highlights
About the report
Produced through the cooperation of AM Best and the Foundation, AM Best's 2021 Special Report, U.S. Surplus Lines - Segment Review
is one of our most important tools in promoting and illustrating the industry’s strength and stability.
The report provides AM Best’s perspective on the state of the market and the relative positions of carriers in the market, and it examines the surplus lines sector’s financial condition and ratings distribution, market trends, regulatory and legislative developments, distribution issues, and impairment trends. The report also includes the results of AM Best’s survey of surplus lines insurers measuring the proportion of surplus lines premium derived from various distribution channels. AM Best’s survey results indicated the largest distributors of surplus lines products continue to be wholesale agents and brokers without binding authority.
WSIA members can log in here
to access the full report.
2021 Report Highlights
- Growth of 17.5% in surplus lines direct premium written in 2020, a new record of $66.1 billion (up from $56.3 billion in 2019). 2020 growth ranks as the largest since 2001 to 2003.
- Domestic company growth of 20.2% is also the largest since 2003.
- No financial impairments in the surplus lines segment, in contract to seven admitted property/casualty company impairments in 2020. Since 2003, AM Best has reported just one surplus lines company impairment, in contrast to the admitted property/casualty industry’s 260 financial impairments.
- Domestic professional surplus lines insurers continue to maintain a higher proportion of secure ratings than the overall property/casualty industry. Through midyear 2021, 100% of surplus lines companies maintained secure AM Best ratings compared to 97% for the total property/casualty industry, with surplus lines carriers having much higher proportions in the Exceptional, Superior and Excellent rating categories.
- AM Best continues to note that, despite numerous economic, regulatory, legislative and market challenges, surplus lines insurers’ market share has more than doubled over the last 20 years, from 3.6% of total property/casualty direct premiums written in 2000 to 9.1% at the end of 2020. We are also pleased to see that surplus lines as a percentage of commercial lines direct written premium grew from 7.1% to 18.4% over the same time period.
- Section II of the report measures the surplus segment’s financial performance, noting favorable performance in relation to the broader P&C industry.