The Surplus Lines Symposium
November 1-2, 2018
Hyatt Regency Atlanta | Atlanta, GA
The Surplus Lines Symposium is hosted by Troy University’s Sorrell College of Business each fall and students from several universities attend the event. In 2017 there were 202 registered student attendees from 19 universities, with 15 industry firms participating in the career fair. The annual symposium features a career fair, reception and educational sessions with various presenters from the wholesale, specialty and surplus lines industry, and receives sponsorship from the WSIA Education Foundation.
- Registration is now closed. If you are interested in attending, contact Christine Timmerman, email@example.com.
- Student registration is $25 and includes meals, Thursday night hotel and inclusion in the symposium resume booklet.
- Faculty registration is available at no charge.
- Career Fair registration is $500 and includes Thursday lunch, a career fair booth and the student resume booklet.
Attendees hear from surplus lines industry representatives and the selection of speakers ensures that a variety of points of view are presented for a thorough discuss of the excess & surplus lines insurance industry. The symposium features a career fair and networking opportunities to allow students to begin building relationships to aid their transition to the professional world. Topics and discussions include:
- Emerging Issues: Active Shooter, Cannabis and More
- Student to Professional:Networking to a Career in Specialty Insurance
- A Day in the Life of an Underwriter
- A Day in the Life of a Broker
- Young Guns Panel
New! Pre-Symposium Session:
An Introduction to Underwriting session for upper level university students who have taken multiple risk management and insurance classes or who have participated in related internships will be available. This session will go in depth on the topic of property and liability coverages. Participants will be exposed to the underwriting process using real case studies, which will enhance both broker and underwriting skillsets. It will be limited to 30 students at a nominal additional fee of $10 and will be held just prior to the start of the symposium on Thursday, November 1 from 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. Attendees will still be able to participate in the Career Fair, if interested.
Download a 2018 symposium flyer here.
The Extreme Risk Takers Symposium
March 29-30, 2019
The Alpha Kappa Chapter at the Katie School of Insurance at Illinois State University hosts an annual Extreme Risk Takers Symposium. The symposium is an educational program sponsored by the WSIA Education Foundation on the surplus lines insurance market and offers sessions and networking opportunities with peers and industry professionals. Topics and panel discussions from past symposiums include:
- Overview of the Surplus Lines Market
- Introduction to the WSIA Internship Program
- The Underwriting Cycle
- Lloyd's and the Global Market
- Case Study on Risk Management: The Deal
- Roles and Career Paths in the Surplus Lines Market
- Registration will open in January 2019.
The Wholesale and Specialty Insurance Symposium: Risky Business
Hosted by Arizona State University, The Wholesale & Specialty Insurance Symposium was a new event in 2018. The symposium is an educational program sponsored by the WSIA Education Foundation on the surplus lines insurance market and offers sessions and networking opportunities with peers and industry professionals including a session on Actuaries in Action. Topics and panel discussions included:
- Surplus Lines Distribution Systems
- Presidents Panel
- Actuaries in Action
- Young Professionals Panel
- Career Fair
- Scholarship and internship information
- Click here to download a 2018 Symposium schedule and informational flyer. Stay tuned for additional information about the next Wholesale and Specialty Insurance Symposium.
Foundation Golf Tournament
April 13, 2018
The 2018 Foundation Golf Tournament, which raises funds to support education initiatives including scholarships, was held in conjunction with the WSIA Underwriting & Leadership Summit.
Click here for more information about 2018 golf opportunities.