The Extreme Risk Takers Symposium
March 23-24, 2018
The Alpha Kappa Chapter at the Katie School of Insurance at Illinois State University hosts an annual Extreme Risk Takers Symposium. The symposium is an educational program sponsored by the Derek Hughes/NAPSLO Educational Foundation on the surplus lines insurance market and offers sessions and networking opportunities with peers and industry professionals. Topics and panel discussions from past symposiums include:
- Overview of the Surplus Lines Market
- Introduction to the WSIA Internship Program
- The Underwriting Cycle
- Lloyd's and the Global Market
- Case Study on Risk Management: The Deal
- Roles and Career Paths in the Surplus Lines Market
- Students, educators and career fair participants can register online here.
- The registration deadline is March 2.
The Wholesale & Specialty Insurance Symposium: Risky Business
April 6-7, 2018
Hosted by Arizona State University, The Wholesale & Specialty Insurance Symposium is a new event in 2018. The symposium is an educational program sponsored by the Derek Hughes/NAPSLO Educational Foundation on the surplus lines insurance market and offers sessions and networking opportunities with peers and industry professionals including a session on Actuaries in Action. Topics and panel discussions include:
- Surplus Lines Distribution Systems
- Presidents Panel
- Actuaries in Action
- Young Professionals Panel
- Career Fair
- Scholarship and internship information
- Click here to download a 2018 Symposium schedule and informational flyer.
- Students, educators and career fair particpants can register online here.
- The registration deadline is March 16.
Foundation Golf Tournament
April 13, 2018
The 2018 Foundation Golf Tournament, which raises funds to support education initiatives including scholarships, will be held in conjunction with the WSIA Underwriting & Leadership Summit.
Click here for more information about 2018 golf opportunities.
The Surplus Lines Symposium
The Surplus Lines Symposium is hosted by Troy University’s Sorrell College of Business each fall and students from several universities attend the event. In 2017 there were 202 registered student attendees from 19 universities, with 15 industry firms participating in the career fair. Information about the 2018 symposium will be available in August.
The annual symposium features a career fair, reception/dinner and educational sessions with various presenters from the surplus lines industry, and receives sponsorship from the Derek Hughes/NAPSLO Educational Foundation.
Attendees hear from surplus lines industry representatives and the selection of speakers ensures that a variety of points of view are presented for a thorough discuss of the excess & surplus lines insurance industry. The symposium features a career fair and networking opportunities to allow students to begin building relationships to aid their transition to the professional world. Topics and discussions include:
- The Wholesale Marketplace
- Alternative Capital
- Building a Book around Emerging Risks: How Surplus Lines Professionals Insure the Unknown
- Young Guns Panel
- Student to a Professional: Networking to a Career in Specialty Insurance
- Lloyd's and the Global Market
2017 Student and Educator Attendee List
2017 Symposium Flyer